Monday, December 4, 2017

Week 8 - Ethics and Presentation


For Week 8 I read book one of March. I enjoyed reading March a lot, as a white American I feel it our responsibility to educate ourselves on the plight of black people in America and throughout our history. I love history in general but hearing about one little boys story in particular is something I like about this. He isn’t as well know as Malcolm X or MLK he is a regular boy who grows up as most children, naïve to the ridiculous hierarchy of race. We know a lot about this young man and how he values life, he cries when his parents kill one of his chickens that he takes care of and I think details like this help you to empathize with him. Even the art is so crucial to everyone’s portrayal in the story. In other comics we have seen throughout the class, most black characters are either seen in passing or depicted in extremely racist ways. This story, likely written and drawn by black authors, do not include this ridiculous trend. They draw and write themselves how they are and are not the butt of most jokes like in that of Underground comics that thrive off racism, sexism, etc. Also, this book includes the harsh language of the time that all black people would have been subjected to, and I feel like that is important thing for people to see. I enjoyed reading this story and I think many more people should, comic lovers or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment