Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Week 12


I read This One Summer for comics by women, week 12. I very much enjoyed this book and was immediately sucked in in every way. The style of art is incredibly charming and enjoyably simple. Down to the text used it all just fits together. Even the language and common use of words like ‘uh’, ‘like’, and ‘just kidding’ is all stuff that’s relatable to how my friends spoke when we were fifteen. It’s a coming of age story but in a very subtle way. I feel like it doesn’t hammer home and into your face that this is about the hardships of growing and growing up as a girl. It’s incredible relatable in a not in your face kind of way which I enjoy. I feel like maybe I can relate to this type of story more because I am female and I feel like guys maybe would not like this story as much as I do. When I began reading I didn’t think too deeply but it slowly starts to show you that there’s something more to her parent’s relationship and I wanted to know more about it and beyond that more about the characters themselves. I feel like they are characters that are easy to invest in and enjoy. I felt as much disappointment and sadness when Rose and her mom fought in the kitchen. All in all, I think this is a really great book and would definitely read more by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment